August 14, 2010

Self-Archaeology, slight return

I have been spending more than the usual amount of time searching for treasure trash in the streets recently, as part of an art project I'm working on. More on that later (a LOT more), but WAIT, invisible audience! Before you are bored away, let me explain why trash is fascinating. The image below is from the NYTimes Science section - it's a key piece of evidence in a new theory that humans evolved the ability to use tools hundred of thousands of years earlier than previously thought. And what is it? Caveman fast food detritus - a bone with some scratches on it. Sometimes, when I'm feeling vertiginous, I feel as though every humble object that is altered, touched, or even enters one's field is endowed with endless significance. A feeling that fades, thank god, because how could one ever FUNCTION? But this state of consciousness is actualized through the filter of fossilization. This bone functions as a tenuous connection to beings who lived and died and were swallowed by time.




That makes me think of a project that I've never really shown, but that I keep coming back to. In fact, now that I think about it, both projects I am working on these days are direct descendants of these images. So check it out:

Self Archaeology.






^ klik 2 makk BIG ^

No comments:

Post a Comment